The statue of Notre-Dame de Paris, or the Virgin of the Pillar, is a stone statue that is most well-known representation of the Virgin in the cathedral. Sculpted in the middle of the 14th century, it comes from the Saint-Aignan chapel located in the former Cloister of the Canons on the Île de la Cité. Transferred to Notre-Dame in 1818, it was first placed in the over mantel of the Portal of the Virgin to replace the the 13th century Virgin, which was destroyed in 1793. In 1855, during the restoration campaign of Viollet-le-Duc, it was installed in its current location at the south-east pillar of the transept, a historically meaningful site since an altar to the Virgin stood at the same place at the end of the 12th century.

Make A Donation

Virgin of the Pillar

by Friends of Notre-Dame de Paris


The statue of Notre-Dame de Paris, or the Virgin of the Pillar, is a stone statue that is most well-known representation of the Virgin in the cathedral. Sculpted in the middle of the 14th century, it comes from the Saint-Aignan chapel located in the former Cloister of the Canons on the Île de la Cité. Transferred to Notre-Dame in 1818, it was first placed in the over mantel of the Portal of the Virgin to replace the the 13th century Virgin, which was destroyed in 1793. In 1855, during the restoration campaign of Viollet-le-Duc, it was installed in its current location at the south-east pillar of the transept, a historically meaningful site since an altar to the Virgin stood at the same place at the end of the 12th century.