Bring the Hive Alive!
Help bring a landmark hand-painted work of art to Downtown Hendersonville!
Our local Bee City USA affiliate (a program of The City of Hendersonville Tree Board and Environmental Sustainability Board) is partnering with Hands On! Children’s Museum, The Good of the Hive, nonprofit organizations, local businesses, and community members to create a larger-than-life bee mural in the heart of downtown Hendersonville! The bees will be painted on the exterior wall of the children’s museum located within the Azalea Public Parking Lot (facing Third Ave. E. between N. Main Street and King Street) beginning in late-October, 2020.
The goals of this initiative are to:
• raise awareness of the importance of pollinators
• bring beauty and character to downtown Hendersonville
• celebrate the power in human connection
• inspire actions to help sustain healthy ecosystems
Through the support of many donors and sponsors, over $35,000 was raised from June 2019 – June 2020 to bring the mural to life in our community! Additional contributions to the “Bring the Hive Alive!” bee mural fund will help us also accomplish the following:
• establish a fund for future care and maintenance of the bee mural
• enhance the demonstration pollinator garden to be planted in front of the bee mural
• expand pollinator-related STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) education programs for students and community presentations by the artist (online or in-person as may be most appropriate) during the bee mural painting period and beyond
• join the Appalachian Mural Trail and develop/promote a downtown Hendersonville mural trail
• support future museum exhibits related to pollinators, agriculture, food systems, and ecosystems